St John’s Senior High School is a boys’ Roman Catholic second-cycle institution in Sekondi in the Western Region of Ghana. The school is popularly known for its academics achievements and sports performance.
The school was founded in January 1952 by the then-archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cape Coast, Most Rev. William Thomas Porter of the Society of African Missions (SMA)
St John’s School
P. O. Box 472
Type Public high school
Motto Viam Parantes
(Preparing the way)
Religious affiliation(s) Roman Catholic
Patron saint(s) St John the Evangelist
Established 1952 (66 years ago)
Founder Most Rev. William Thomas Porter
School district Sekondi Takoradi Metropolitan Assembly
Oversight Ministry of Education
Age 14 to 18
Classes offered Business, general arts, general science, visual arts
St. John’s School is a boys’ second-cycle Roman Catholic school located at Sekondi in the Western Region of Ghana. It is one of the best senior high schools in Ghana and the best in the region. Old boys include David Ampofo ,Dr Frank Abu former minister ,current chief executive of korle hospital, M.K Onnomah and a whole group of people.
It was founded on 29 January 1952 by Archbishop William Thomas Porter of the Society of African Missions. At the time of the founding, Porter was then vicar apostolic and later Archbishop of Cape Coast.
At its founding, the school had three teachers and forty-seven students.
The origin of St. John’s School can be traced to an English Churchman who came to the Gold Coast in 1933 from Nigeria where he had been the General Manager of Catholic Schools. He discovered to his dismay in the Gold Coast that the Catholic Church which had been a fountain of education for centuries elsewhere had not catered for Second Cycle Institutions in the country. He therefore, worked tirelessly to found St. Augustine’s College in Cape Coast in 1936. This man of vision and courage was the late Archbishop W. T. Porter of Cape Coast.
The Second World War fizzled out all arrangements for overseas financial aid and staffing for other schools and colleges. However, the Government’s Accelerated Education policy of 1951 to cater for the educational needs of Middle School Form 4 leavers after their Primary School Education spurred on the Church to establish a number of Catholic Secondary Schools in the country in 1952. Bishop Herman in Kpando, Volta Region, Opoku Ware in Kumasi, Ashanti and St. John’s in Sekondi-Takoradi, Western Region, were all established by the Church to meet the needs of the numerous Middle School leavers whose future looked quite bleak.
The Government took on the church’s challenge and also established the following schools: Keta Secondary School in the Volta Region, Dormaa Secondary School in the then Ashanti Region and Fijai Secondary School, Sekondi-Takoradi in the Western Region.
St. John’s was founded as a private Secondary School by the Roman Catholic Church on 29 January 1952. It was the first Secondary School to be established in the Western Region and was named after Rev. John Beenker of the SMA Society who shortly after assuming the post became seriously ill and had to return to Holland where he died, and so Rev. Father Francis Kwamena Buah who was pursuing his postgraduate studies in Cork University Ireland was recalled to head the school. Before his arrival, however, Rev. Father Donelley, SMA, temporarily held the fort.
The school started with three masters, Rev. Father F. K. Buah, Rev. Father Donelley, Mr. John Quansah and 47 students at St. Paul’s Catholic Primary/Middle School, Anaafo Sekondi, in two temporary classrooms.
The students are known as “The Saints” and the past students are known as “Old Saints”.
Name Tenure of office
Mr. Anthony J. Mensah since 2015
Rev. Bro. Sylvester Quaye 2010–15
Rev. Bro. Joseph K. B. Annan, C.S.C. 2001–10
Mrs. Rebecca Effiba Dadzie 2001 (March–July) Acting
K. Akwasi Bona 1997–2001
Mr. R. A. Sackey 1991–96
Mr. J. S. Honny 1979–90
Mr. B. A. K. Griffin 1974–78
Bro. Raymond Papenfuss, C.S.C. 1973–74
Bro. Frederick McGlynn, C.S.C. 1967–73
Bro. Jerome Chandler 1963–67
Bro. Rex. Hennel, C.S.C. 1959–63
Rev. Fr. F. K. Buah