Armed Forces Senior High Technical School is a secondary school located in Kumasi, Ghana.
The school’s official name is Ghana Armed Forces Senior High Technical School. It was established on 28 January 1991 as part of one hundred and forty-six (146) Senior Secondary Schools which were opened throughout the country under the Education Reforms Programme which was started in 1987 with the Junior Secondary School. The school started with twenty three students made up of seventeen boys and six girls as pioneering students with six teachers. The current population is above 1800 students.
Initially, only technical and vocational programmes were offered in the school until January 1995, when Business studies was introduced into the school’s curriculum. In January 1997, Secretariat and General Arts studies were also introduced. Since 2003, the school has introduced Elective Science and General Agricultural Studies in the curriculum. Consequently, the school offers all the programmes approved by the Ghana Education Service for the second cycle of the educational structure in Ghana.
Though the school started off as a purely day institution, hostel facility was introduced for an initial group of 50 final year students on 19 September 1997 to cater for wards of service personnel and other and others who hailed from outside the Kumasi Metropolis. With effect from the 2006/2007 Academic Year, the Ghana Education Service granted approval for the school to operate as a Boarding/Day school.
The School is located within the Old Uaddara Barracks, the former home of 4 Battalion of Infantry near the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital in Kumasi.